Apply for a NEW Passport
Anyone applying for a first time passport must apply in person using form DS-11. If you were under 16 when your passport was issued (a 5 year passport) you can not renew.
- APPLICATIONS – Due to COVID-19 precautions, applications must be filled out before your appointment.
- Applications are available at the library or on the U.S. State Department website. If accessing them online, print them single-sided.
- Fill out all information in black ink (no white out) but DO NOT SIGN YOUR FORM. You must sign in front of a passport agent.
- The applicant(s) must be present.
- Both parent(s) and child(ren) must be present for all minor applications under the age of 16.
- VALID PHOTO ID – Applicants and parents of applicants under age 16 must have a valid photo ID.
- ORIGINAL PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP – such as certified, original, long form birth certificates, naturalization papers, or a U.S. Passport for applicants over the age of 16.
- CURRENT PASSPORT PHOTO – The Library does NOT provide photo services; however, there are several places near the Library that provide the service, such as Costco and Walgreens. Please note: eyeglasses must be removed for passport photos and must be taken in the last six months.
- FEES – The Library accepts cash or check for the Passport execution fee, which is $35.00 per passport application. All payments made to the U.S. Department of State must be made by check or money order. The Department of State does NOT accept credit or debit cards. For specific fee information, please contact the Library.
Note: The U. S. State Department has strict photo guidelines and acceptance of your photo is always at the discretion of the U. S. passport agency.
For further information on the passport application process, visit the U.S. State Department website or call the library at 815.725.1715.
Passport Agency Rules and Hours
Shorewood-Troy Public Library has been designated as an official Acceptance Facility of the Department of State. We accept applications for NEW passports Monday-Saturday, during scheduled passport hours.
NOTE: Due to COVID-19, the following rules are in effect:
- An appointment is required and must be made 24 hours in advance. Call to request an appointment, 815.725.1715.
- All paperwork EXCEPT YOUR SIGNATURE must be completed before arrival (see instructions to the left). Bring all paperwork and supporting documents with you to your appointment.
- Applicant(s) must wear a mask in the library and during the appointment.
- If the passport is for a minor child, BOTH parent and child must be present.
- Only one applicant will be allowed in the office with the passport agent at a time.
Adult Passport Renewals
Adult passport renewals are easy to do. To renew a 10-year adult passport, visit the U.S. State Department website and download form DS-82 along with the instructions. You will need to submit a NEW photo as well.
You can renew by mail if all of the following are true of your most recent U.S. Passport:
- It is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older;
- Was issued within the last 15 years; (not expired more than 5 years) and
- Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change with a certified copy of your marriage certificate or government-issued document evidencing your legal name change.
Complete the application and mail the application, payment and the passport to the address on the form.
The Library does not accept mail-in renewal applications. Adult renewals are done by the adult and acceptance agencies do not accept these applications.
NOTE: This is a general overview and not all situations are covered. Please contact the Library at 815.725.1715 or visit the U.S. State Department website for more details.